Saturday, March 21, 2009

World Champion Triathletes!!!

20th March 2009 is going down as one of the most significant days in history in MY life!!!

I woke up early at 0830, caught a cab at 0910 and then, together with the driver's help, I found Key Power International Showroom amongst a row of shop houses. Alexander Craig and Pete Jacobs, the renowned triathletes, came in for a sort of interview where they talked about their experiences and advices on the trainings and triathlons, including Ironman at 1000 sharp.

An Ironman Triathlon is one of a series of long-distance triathlon races organised by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) consisting of a 2.4 mile (3.9 km) swim, 112 mile (180 km) bike and 26.2 mile (42.2 km) marathon run.

The Ironman Triathlon, or The Ironman Triathlon World Championships, is both the original triathlon and the annual world championships of the event, held annually since 1978 in Hawaii. It was made famous by its grueling length, harsh race conditions, and television coverage.

According to Craig, it is better to have training partners when training, rather than being alone. The friends would give advices and they too, serve as a form of motivation.

The talk lasted for one hour where the audience fire questions at them and got their answers with great satisfaction. Most of the questions were good.

Jacobs stressed that even if the bike is so modifically advanced and is equipped with the best requisites, the final performance still boils down to the triathlete. Craig agreed that past achievements should not be used to gauge the present. Such that, it doesn't matter if you came in first the previous year, what matters is the race before you. "Of course, the achievements are still meant to be proud of" he added with a smile.

An autograph session was done and they are so nice to help me sign my bag too!!! My bag is priceless now! I know some of you guys may be jealous but remember, their inspirations are of a much greater value than the signatures. For a signature will fade away even when a permanent marker is used but them being our role models will drive us as our motivation!!!

I made many new friends too! There's Bryan Piccone from SG Runners, Sukaimi the Lonelyrunner and Shem (Sukaimi's friend and a triathlete)!!! It's great to widen your area of passion and then maybe, we can run together!

In conclusion, the meeting of the two champion triathletes was fascinating and this kind of opportunity do not knock on your door any sooner than expected, so I would like to express my thanks to The Lonely Runner for giving me the chance to meet them even though I am not a triathlete but I may consider when I am 21 years old!

Here are the event pictures! Please do not edit them in Photoshop. Please respect the pictures. The welcoming of the 2 champions!! (screams happily!)
Pete Jacobs..
and Alexander Craig!!!



A group photo with the Newton people!!
The commencement of the autograph sessions!!!
The signed card!!! (gonna laminate this.. YAY!!!)
My priceless bag!! (anyone wanna start a fan club?)
The Aviva Ironman Singapore 70.3km is starting on 21st March 2009 in East Coast Park at 0700- The Introduction of Elites at race start area and then subsequently, the race waves will follow through! Craig will be competing too! Let's support and cheer for him all the way! I'll be there tonight at 2300 as a volunteer so I can do a review on the event too!
Once again, I LOVE ALEXANDER CRAIG AND PETE JACOBS!!!

P.S: The quotes will up on Monday, 23rd March 2009!

2 comments:

  1. Woah,you are really one lucky lady!!Both Ironman athletes signed for you somemore :O

    I like their comments about training philosophy.Looking forward to the quotes you have there ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. yea.. the quotes may be delayed.. gotta write up on the Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore yesterday! I am so exhausted!! Haha..

    ReplyDelete