Luke McKenzie
Luke is a Professional Triathlete from Australia's Gold Coast. He lives and trains in the beautiful coastal town of Noosa Heads during the Australian summer. Luke spends most of his racing season in the USA basing in Santa Monica mountains north of Los Angeles in Westlake Village, California. He also enjoys training in the mountains of Bend, Oregon in the warmer summer months.Luke specializes at the Ironman and Half/ Ironman 70.3 distances as well as the short cours non-drafting formats. A strong all round athlete, Luke is sure to be battling for the lead wherever he races around the world. [More information about Luke McKenzie can be found in[http://www.lukemckenzie.com/news.php]
The run started at 7pm from the Basketball court outside Running Lab and around the Novena area. There were upslopes and downslopes. It was rather tiring for me, considering that I haven't done slopes for so long, since Pol-Ite. Then again, I didn't stop once. Slopes really bring out the best in you at times. After the run, the group drank cold drinks to cool off and photographs were taken, here and there. Autographs of Luke were given and well, everyone enjoyed themselves and got advice from this awesome triathlete.
Short interview with Luke McKenzie
Me: How many years of experience did you have?
Luke: I have had 15 years of experience. It started when I was 14 years old, in 1995. I was in the Nationals Team (Australia) and went four times for World Championship. In 2001, I came in 3rd in the World Junior Championship. Then I became a full-time professional in 2002. I started competing in Ironman in 2004 and have raced in Asia, Europe, American, Australia.
Me: What are some factors that triathletes must take note of?
Luke: Firstly, its the nutrition. Carbohydrate-loading, topping up energy, hydration is important as well. Secondly, its the pacing for the whole race. You don't want to surge so fast at the start and just die off in the end. Climate is important as well. Training mountains for uphill is good. [When you're competing in other countries that have different climates, you must] arrive earlier to adapt to the climate. For example, a week.
Me: What would you do if you're injured? Ho about if you're going to compete in a race soon, like next week?
Luke: First, I would stop training and treat the injury. You should take it easy and rest or have alternate trainings such as cross-training. It would help alot. Water-training, and you could do more swimming as well. If the injury really becomes worse or bad, I would just quit the race.
Me: What are some advice you would give to triathletes?
Luke: You got to practice your transitions and the training of the bike.
Me: Do you think technology really plays a part in winning? Cause one of my friend told me that if I have a really good bike, its like 50% of the race being won.
Luke: Well, its not really that true. You should start off with progression first. Get used to the trainings. When you're going to be a serious triathlete, then you can get better gear.
Me: How do you train for your competition?
Luke: The main factor is Mileage. For a week, I train 25km of swimming; 500-600km of riding; 100-120km of running; 2-3 hours in the gym to train my cores.
It was really an impromptu interview so these are the few questions that I can think of at that time. If there is any question you would like to ask, do drop it in the 'Comments' and I'll email it to Luke McKenzie.
All the best to Luke McKenzie for his Ironman China :)


Hi damsel,
ReplyDeleteI wanted to attend the workshop but couldn't due to a meeting in the evneing.
Thanks for the sharing the piece of info here.
Keep up the good work.
m.m
Halo M.M,
ReplyDeleteNo problem! Thnks for dropping by:)
Yu Xin